Saturday, February 9, 2008

Train wreck at the Trop

Played my first poker tournament since winning down in New Orleans. $100+$20 buy-in at the Tropicana in Atlantic City this morning. 62 players. Was not a good day for me.

I had a pocket pair 5 times, and didn't win one of those hands. In fact, I didn't win my first pot until the last hand of level 3. Frustrating to say the least.

Second hand of the tournament I ended up with pocket Ks. I raised with one caller. Flop came out with 2 Qs and blank and decided to slow play this early in the tournament. Turn came an ace and I knew I was in trouble. I checked and mu opponent came out with a weak bet. I thought that maybe I was OK and raised, but when he came over the top, I knew I was done.

Ended up with pocket Qs against the same guy. Flop came with a K and he ended up slow playing and added insult to injury with a third king on the river.

My other 3 pocket pairs were all 7s. It was fitting that pocket 7s is what knocked me out. I was short stacked in the BB. Had one caller in middle position. Small blind had chips and raised. Blinds were going up next hand and I knew I had to make a move so went all in. Both players called. Small blind had 9s and the middle position player had AJ offsuit. He was shorter stack than I was. An ace and a jack on the flop ended my tourney early.

I don't think I played terribly or great for that matter, but it just wasn't in the cards today. Couldn't catch a break on any flops but could have played better.

Like every other tournament I've played in however, I learned something that I will remember and use the next time I play to my benefit.

No comments: