Monday, June 30, 2008

A Final Tuneup: Some good luck and some REALLY bad luck.

I played my final tuneup before the Main Event yesterday at the Showboat. The $85+$15 2:00, same one I made the final table in last week. 55 players this time around.

Started off slow, bleeding off chips on a few questionable hands but made them back and stayed pretty much even for the first few levels. Was helped out with A10 off suit in the small blind. Everyone folded to the button who raised. Didn't think he was much of a player so I called as did the BB. I flopped the straight with K-Q-J and 2 diamonds. I decided to slow play and checked it as did the BB. The button bet out. After thinking about it I decided to raise and not risk him on a diamond draw. He folded after a couple of minutes.

Thought I made a couple of all-in plays when my back was against the wall and short stacked and took down pots. I think it served 2 purposes besides somewhat building my stack back up. The players couldn't tell whether I was bluffing with my all ins, plus they knew I wasn't afraid to push my stack at any time.

I was down to about 7K in chips and second to act when the player under the gun with a similar chip stack goes all in. I peek to see bullets and go all in as well. He was dismayed to see my aces against his jacks and my aces held up.

I did get called out one hand when I was in middle position with A7 suited and raised. The chip leader on the button reraised. I was pretty much pot committed at that point and put my remaining chips in, figuring I was beat and he called turning over pocket 9s. Lucky flop gave me an ace and doubled me up.

The turning point cam when blinds were 1000-2000 and I had about 26K in chips. I'm on a roll at this point and in the big blind. Action folds around to the button who raises to 7K. Small blind goes all in for about 20K. I look down to see pocket jacks. I thought the button was stealing and wanted to isolate the small blind. I had him on ace-big and with 17 players left, I thought it was a good time for a coin flip to increase my stack and make me the table leader so I push as well. The button thinks about it and folds. SB turns over AK. The button announced he folded the same hand giving the SB 2 less outs. I was elated when a 3rd jack came on the flop, but then quickly realized there was a queen on the board also giving him a straight draw. The turn was a blank leaving him with 4 outs, but poker being poker, he spiked a 10 on the river giving him the straight and decimating my stack.

I finished up in 17th place. Didn't play my best poker, but I was pretty pleased with my play. All things being equal, I am ready for Vegas.

I picked up my $10,000 cashier's check today, getting well wishes from the bank and making me promise I'll come back in for pictures when I win my bracelet. I told them I would.

No comments: