Sunday, June 15, 2008

Shaking off the rust

The last few times I played, I played really well but just had terrible luck. It's poker and I understand but it's still a horrible and frustrating feeling and I didn't think I could feel any worse playing poker until this past Friday. Losing and playing terribly is definitely a worse feeling than playing well and losing sue to back luck.

Decided to try a new venue this past Friday and played at the Showboat. Was only planning on playing one tournament (they have 3 daily), but because my exit was so so premature in the 1st tourney, I ended up playing 2.

Both tourneys were $53+$12. The first one I lasted about 2 hours. The blind structure was fairly aggressive. Didn't play particularly well mainly due to me being very impatient. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I won a couple of hands by catching cards fishing for open ended straights. In the end, I finished in the middle of the pack and was not happy with my performance at all.

I took an hour walk on the boardwalk to clear my head and entered a 2nd $53+$12 NL tourney at the Showboat. Sitting down at my table I knew right away I should pretty much dominate the table. That confidence was probably my downfall as I lasted a half hour.

A few hands in under the gun I get dealt pocket jacks. Since it's early I make the standard three times the BB raise and every folds except for the BB. Flop comes out 8-9-10 rainbow. Great flop for me and I figure I'm in great shape. BB checks and I bet half the pot and he calls. I'm thinking he may have an underpair so I'm not terribly concerned. Turn pairs the board with an ace and it worries me a bit. BB checks again and I decide to bet to see where I stand figuring if he doesn't have an ace he'll fold. He makes the call and now my mind is all over the place because I'm not exactly sure what he has. Straught draw? Underpair? Slowplaying top pair or did he catch 2 pair with the ace? River pairs the board with another 9 and the BB comes firing out with a twice the pot bet. A very suspicious bet but I'm still really confused. In my head, the only question was whether or not he had an ace. Eventually I went with my gut and didn't think he had an ace or a 9 and that my 2 pair were good and made the call. Well, at least my gut was right because he didn't have an ace or 9, but he turned over QJ, showing me his flopped straight which was the nuts until the river. 15 minutes in and 60% of my stack is gone.

A few hands later everyone folds to me on the button. The BB is a ghost so it's only the small blind who is at least 80 something years old. I decide to call with 94 offsuit. Again, I was being impatient and wanted to play. I also figured how much trouble could I really get in. Oops.

Flop brings a 4 and 2 clubs, giving me bottom pair. SB checks and I bet half the pot to see where I'm at and he calls. Turn brings another club. He checks and I bet half the pot again and he calls. Thinking he has a higher pair than me at this point, i was going to cut my losses on the river until a 2nd 4 comes giving me a set. In my excitement I bet ahead of my turn and then pull it back. To my surprise he comes firing out. I'm thinking he thinks I'm bluffing so I come over the top of him figuring my set of 4s is golden. To my surprise he calls and shows me the flush. The one hand I did not peg him for but probably should have. Very stupid on my part.

My 3rd and final big hand came when I was dealt pocket 6s on the button. Fold around to the player before me who smooth calls as do I and the small blind. BB checks his option. 4 players to the flop of K-4-K, giving me 2 pair. Everyone checks around to me and I decide to check as well. Turn brings a queen and everyone checks around to me again. Figuring my 2 pair are good at this point and not wanting to be rivered, I go all in for my last 1900. Blinds fold and the player to my right instacalls and turns over Big Slick, mercifully ending my day.

I have never been so angry after playing poker before. Not because I lost but because I didn't think I played particularly well in doing it. If I play the way I did Friday in Vegas in 3 weeks, It's going to be a very short Main Event for me. But you learn from your mistakes and move on. The Main Event is a marathon, not a sprint. If I keep reminding myself that during all the tourneys I play before the Main Event in 3 weeks, I should be fine.

I plan on putting my "Less is More" philosophy to the test this Thursday night at the Showboat once again for the 2008 Summer Open Showdown. Should be around 75 people or so and I plan on contending.

Less than 3 weeks until Vegas...

No comments: